Sunday, March 15, 2009

A new brother!

My family just got bigger! Today was a busy day, with my last Sunday School class with the 1-3rd graders at church, cheering on the Baylor Lady Bears to their conference tournament win (woo hoo!), learning how to crochet, and most importantly, an adoption ceremony at church.

Jonathan Pendleton, my 9-year-old friend, is now my 9-year-old brother. We've been friends for about 5 years now, and during the last year or so, we've called each other brother and sister. During our recent camping trip, we decided that the time for talking was over. It was time to really seal the deal.

Though we did not sign any legal papers, we invited our extended family in Waco to join us for a Brother-Sister Ceremony Celebration. It's as official now as it can be without slicing our hands and binding them together or signing papers.

We came up with the program all by ourselves. Here's a look at the outline of the service:

The Dedication of Gin and Jonathan as Brother and Sister

Prayer -- Rachel Sciretti (friend and Minister of Children)

Stories of Love -- All are welcome to share

Promises to Each Other
G&J: We have come here today because we want to be seen as brother and sister. We promise to love each other no matter what.

G: Jonathan, I promise to be your big sister. That means that I'll be there for you forever and ever. I'm going to pray for you, encourage you, tackle you, and cheer for you for the rest of your life.

J: Gin, I promise to be your brother. That means that I'll be there for you forever and ever. I'm going to pray for you, encourage you, tackle you, and cheer for you for the rest of your life.

G&J: We make these promises today with God's help.

Song of Love "I Love You" (words from Barney the Dinosaur,
music from Holy Manna)

Prayer of Blessing -- Jo Pendleton


Afterwards, I gave Jonathan one of two matching necklaces. Then, we went to dinner, and I tacked him at his house. He needed it! I couldn't have him thinking that things were going to be any different than they were yesterday!

Tomorrow is my last day in Waco for a while. I've got house cleaning to do, some shopping for needed supplies, a lesson in folding origami cranes, packing, and goodbye lunch, dinner, and more! I hope everyone's doing well. Tomorrow may be crazy, but starting on Tuesday when I fly to Houston, I'm going to have a LOT of free time to chat. Write or call whenever you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment