Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shorter program

I called NASA today to ask about when I might be expecting to hear from the Flight Analog team, and got some interesting news. Nurse Kathy said that they were still waiting on the final drug screen, and that I should hear something immediately after that, but she also said that the program is likely going to be 84 days instead of 114 days. They apparently are moving from a 90 day bed rest to a 60 day, as it was a the beginning of this most recent set of studies. (I recently read an article about a man in the 60s who was in bed for 210+ days!)

I'm a little sad about the corresponding financial downsizing, but it's still going to be a long and exciting journey! Plus, this will probably get me out of bed in time for a wedding! (not mine) And, there will be 30 fewer days of muscle atrophy and bone density loss and needle poking! So, friends, stay tuned. There should be more info soon.

Oh, and in an effort to soak in sunshine and stretch my legs and be vertical, I'm heading to Big Bend National Park on Saturday with my dear friends, the Pendletons, for a long camping trip! I'll be back on Thursday, so don't be alarmed if I don't post for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment